Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rhubarb!


Today Drew and I decided that instead of sleeping until the last possible minute before we needed to be somewhere, we would actually get up early and get something done. Now, I am not going to admit to what time we actually got up because for most people it is not early at all, but at this uncommonly early hour for me, I found myself wondering..."so what am I supposed to do now?" Of course I a can always resort to baking to keep myself busy so I decided to use some of my fresh rhubarb to whip up some rhubarb crisp. This is a seriously easy dessert (or breakfast) to make and it is so good. I tried a recipe from the Old Threshers "Sweet Tooth" cookbook from Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and it turned out great!

Now this recipe is anything but healthy but rhubarb does come along with some healthful benefits. According to EatingWell magazine, "a cup of fresh, chopped rhubarb delivers healthy doses of vitamin C, potassium and bone healthy vitamin K, for just 26 calories." This article actually does include healthy recipes and I will include one that I have tried below. The Oatmeal-Rhubarb Porridge is an excellent and extremely tasty way to start your morning.

If you have never tried rhubarb, please don't waste any time! The sweet tartness will keep you coming back for more.


Rhubarb Crisp

4 cups rhubarb chopped
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick margarine ( I used vegan butter)
1 cup sugar*
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
Vanilla ice cream, optional

Preheat over to 375. Grease an 8x8 baking dish. Melt butter and set aside. In a large bowl, combine rhubarb with the sugar, 1/4 of the flour and cinnamon and transfer the mixture to a baking dish. In a bowl, combine the remains of flour, brown sugar, oats and melted butter. Sprinkle the streusel over the rhubarb mixture and bake in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes. Let dessert cool and serve with ice cream.

* I have been wanting to substitute sugar for agave nectar in recipes but I am not sure how differently they behave. I took a baby step today and used 3/4 sugar and 1/4 agave nectar. I am sure it doesn't make much difference but it made me feel a little better to use a little less white sugar. The crisp still turned out just fine!


Oatmeal-Rhubarb Porridge

1 1/2 cups nonfat milk or nondairy milk, such as soy or almond milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup 1/2-inch pieces rhubarb, fresh or frozen
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar, pure maple syrup or agave nectar
1 tablespoons chopped pecans or other nuts, toasted if desired

Combine milk, juice, oats, rhubarb, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a oil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook at a very gentle bubble, stirring frequently, until the oats and rhubarb are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in sweetener to taste. Top with nuts.

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic and perfectly timed...I was at the store yesterday literally staring at some gorgeous fresh rhubarb and didn't buy it as I was unsure of what to do with it. I'm so going back now. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Whenever I am in doubt, I always make rhubarb crisp. Eatingwell.com has some really good suggestions for rhubarb too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already had two servings of the Rhubarb Crisps today. Needless to say, I'm spoiled. Man those things are good!

    ReplyDelete