Wednesday, February 2, 2011

America's Test Kitchen Chocolate Chip Heaven

If you ever need any chocolate chip goodness to cheer you up, these cookies will take your winter blues away. I needed a little cheering up today after hearing I had to make some hefty repairs on my car. For those of you who know me well, bad news = baked goods in my kitchen. I have recently acquired America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book and have been dying to use it — since chocolate chip cookies are better half's favorite cookie, I decided to give it go. ATK usually never fails me but they have truly outdone themselves on this one. Try this one out and discover some chewy, chocolaty goodness.




Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and together in a medium bowl.

2. In a large bowl, beat the melted butter and sugars together with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl and beaters as needed.

3. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture until combined, about 30 seconds. Mix in the chips until incorporated.

4. Working with 2 tablespoons of dough at a time, roll the dough into balls and lay them on the prepared baking sheets, spaced about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until the edges are set and beginning to brown but the centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheet the baking sheet halfway through baking.

5. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

3 comments:

  1. I have been craving homemade cookies... I may have to try these out. Thanks, Kara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw you sent Greg a message that you had a blog, so I thought I'd come check it out. These sound yummy! You should make some to bring into the store to share. I never have the stuff around the house to do any baking, I have to plan ahead to buy it when I go grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go with your sweet blog, girl! So happy to see you writing away.....don't want to wish bad news on you but more baked goods are a good thing.
    Blog on, sister!!

    ReplyDelete